Welcome to OHS StartUP! 2018
from the Greater NY Regional Coordinators Fatima Badami and Amy Giles and your StartUP! host Joanne Steinhardt
01 Sept 2018
Arrive between 10:30 and 11:00 ish with StartUP! activites beginning by 11:15. Times are all in EST.
Estimated end time is hard to determine but we guess around 5:00 latest.
Host: Oscar Steinhardt & Family (Allen, Joanne, and Zachary)
For those of you who do not know Oscar, he is a rising 10th grader entering is fourth year as a full-time OHS Student.
What to Expect
Every year OHS students around the globe gather in their respective regions for a massive beginning of the year Meet Up otherwise known as StartUP! It serves many purposes, among them; 1) everyone in any given region gets to know one another in person, 2) acts as a great team building day to set the tone to mark the start of the school year and 3) regions get to compete in events supplied by the school. Yep, the folks in Palo Alto send an activity box to each StartUp! coordinator not to be opened until the StartUp! begins. In that box there are the instructions and supplies necessary to compete throughout the afternoon. It is a lot of fun.
When: Satruday September 1, 2018
StartUP! is pretty much an all day event so feel free to bring the family. We believe the "more the merrier." If you want to drop your OHSer off and head elsewhere for a few hours that is good too. There is a ton to do in the area (see below).
Where: 29 Sylvan Drive, Morris Plains, New Jersey 07950
We are located fairly central to the region offering the opportunity for this to be a day trip from most areas in the region. To give an idea of travel times we are about:
- About 2 hours from Long Beach Island NJ
- About 1.5 hours from Philadelphia PA
- About 1 hour from NYC via car or Train from Penn Station NY (our home is a 1/2 mile from the NJ Transit train in Morris Plains)
- About 1 hour from Westchester County NY
- About 1.5 hours from Stamford CT
- About 25 minutes from Newark Airport and 10 minutes from Morristown Airport
The Food - How You Can Support the Pot Luck
I ask that everyone attending please bring a dish that is meaningful to either their culture or their family. Bring the recipe and the story of why you chose the dish with you. While the kids are off doing their thing the parents will be encouraged to munch, mingle, and ultimately share their stories with the group. I will be compiling these and distributing them throughout the region so we can all share in each other's worlds. Find me at JoanneSteinhardt@gmail.com with any questions and of course let me know what you are planning on bringing.
We do live on a fairly small street. There is parking for about three cars in our driveway. There is some additional parking on the street but if it seems crowded please help us keep our neighbors happy and part in the lot of Mountain Way Elementary School (map). I will post Pixel Signs in our backyard to direct you into the back of the house.
Where to Stay if You Want to Make a Weekend of It (or just an overnight)
There are many hotels, motels, and bed and breakfasts in the area. Hit trip advisor and see what fits your needs. A few that I can recommend are:
- Westin Governor Morris in Morristown
This is a Starwood Property located near The Morristown Beard School and the Frelinghuysen Arboretum
- Hyatt Regency in Morristown
This hotel has an AMC in the hotel as well as being walking distance from the square in Morristown
- The Madison in Morristown
Rod's Steakhouse is part of this lovely hotel in the Convent Station section of Morristown
Other Things to Do In The Area
- Where to Eat
- Directly in Morris Plains (walking distance from the house) is Arthurs Tavern, Tony's Pizza, The Bagel Spot, Aji Sushi, Friendly's, Colins Pub, The Hallal Place, and Mexican.
- Also in Morris Plains but not walking distance is Zinberger, Starbucks, and several other eateries.
- In Morristown there are even more choices from high end at Roots Steakhouse to a pancake brunchery and everything in between.
- Historic Sites / Museums
- Washington's Headquarters National Historic Site and Park
- Jockey Hollow National Historic Site and Park
- Historic Speedwell
- Edison's Laboratory National Historic Site (about 45 minutes away)
- The Morris Museum
- The Stickley Furniture Museum
- and more...
- It is Labor Day Weekend so...
- A beach option is we are 1 hour to Sandy Hook National Recreation Area and Beach Preserve for anyone who wants to drop off and partake in Labor Day Weekend Beaching on the Atlantic Ocean
- There are also numerous lake options with beaches and fishing within a 30 minute radius of the house
- Check our All Trails for details of all the hiking trails in the area
- We are 1 hour to the Delaware Water Gap National Park
- Movie Theaters (two closest)
- AMC Morristown
- AMC East Hanover
- Morristown Square offers both small boutique shops as well as a large Century 21.
- The Mall at Short Hills is about 20 minutes away offering shopping with Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, and Neiman Marcus as anchor stores
- Rockway Mall is also about 20 minutes away offering shopping with anchor stores of Macy's, JC Penny, and Lord & Taylor
Please RSVP by 24 AUG 2018 by Filling Out the Form Below
(RSVP even if you are going to be late.)
* indicates a required field